Saturday, September 19, 2020

Coming To Terms With Nutrition

 Nutrition.  It is something I spent much of my life avoiding and now I’m trying to wrap my head around what it means for me.  Eat nutritious foods and limit foods that aren’t nutritious. Seems pretty easy and straight forward right?  If only. There is so much more to it than that. Plus social media bombards us with all kinds of mixed messages about it and different ways to eat healthy. Eat vegetarian, don’t eat carbs, eat 6 small meals, don’t eat between meals, follow intermittent fasting, don’t eat after 7 PM, the list goes on and on. It’s mind blowing and you can easily become overwhelmed. I know I did. 

It’s also easy to become complacent. I’m following this eating plan or that plan so I’m eating healthy and my nutrition is on point. I thought that. I thought that because I was eating a healthy diet I was getting everything that my body needed.  But something wasn’t feeling right with my body so I enlisted the help of a nutritionist. She immediately suggested nutrition testing which I was all for. I knew I’d be good because I eat healthy most of the time. Boy was I wrong!  My test results showed that I was deficient in many areas that were essential for my body to function properly. 

How could this be?  I eat healthy...most of the time. How can my body be deficient in so many nutrients?  I was eating healthy but I wasn’t eating a variety of different healthy things. I was eating the same healthy things over and over again. So I had an imbalance. Too much of some things and not enough of others. It was really eye opening. So I’m trying to do better. I’m trying to eat a rainbow every day and I’m taking my supplements and hopefully I’m on the road to a body that has everything it needs to function properly. It will be a lifelong journey. Remember the best eating plan for you is one that you can stick with for the long haul. It can’t be a diet. It has to be a lifestyle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Leavers

 I love to read diverse books. It gives me the opportunity to learn about another culture or another way of life. I get a chance to look thr...