Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Why?

 On Sunday, I started a new fitness program titled #mbf (muscle burns fat).  I know many of you are probably asking why would you start a new program the week of Christmas.  Why wouldn’t you just wait until after the holidays?  Well, the answer is simple. Why not?  The bottom line is that there will always be a reason not to start.  This is happening or that is happening or I’ll just start after this which leads right into the next thing you will start right after.  You don’t need to wait until the start of a new year, a new month or even a new week. Just start!  

Why start in the first place?  I can tell you my why but only you can determine your own and that is what will keep you on track. I work out and try to eat nutritious foods as often as I can because I want to be healthy, I want to maintain my mobility as I age, I want to get stronger and I want to feel good.  Notice that nowhere in there did I say because I want to lose weight. That’s a nice byproduct but not a sustainable why for me.  Too much discouragement can go along with that to give me a reason to quit. Maybe I’m not losing weight fast enough, I hit a plateau or God forbid I gain weight!  So I dug a little deeper and came up with these reasons and they keep me motivated. 

What happens when I just don’t feel like working out?  It happens. It happens to everyone.  We all have those days. I have found that working out first thing in the morning works best for me. There is less possibility that something can come up to derail my plans like it could as the day progresses. Even still there are days I’m just not feeling it or I just want to stay in bed. Usually, I feel so much better after I workout so that helps to motivate me.  If I’m REALLY not feeling it, I’ll do some yoga. That never fails to make me feel better, body and soul. Plus I know if I don’t get up and work out I’ll dread it for the rest of the day. Remember, nobody ever says I’m so mad I worked out today! 

 I also happen to have a great group of people who help to keep me motivated and accountable.  We are all on this journey together so we help each other. This is a life-long journey, not a short trip. So surrounding yourself with the right people is important. If you don’t have someone, I’m happy to be your person!  

I started this new program on Sunday because I like a new adventure. It’s something different to try, a way to keep my body guessing and I’m always up for a new challenge. It helps me not to get bored.  I push myself to see what I am capable of and I’m always amazed. It may be hard at first but before long I’m knocking it out of the park. It doesn’t get easier, I get stronger and it feels so good!

The last reason I started is what better gift can I give to myself this Christmas week than the gift of health and the gift of movement for my body?  Here’s to a healthy Christmas week and beyond!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Leavers

 I love to read diverse books. It gives me the opportunity to learn about another culture or another way of life. I get a chance to look thr...